Monday, August 23, 2010

Here Comes The Bride

I’m one of those girls who has dreamt about getting married probably since I was knew what a wedding was. I can specifically remember a discussion with my sisters when I was about six, where we discussed dresses, colour, shape, veil etc… We even used to play weddings and take it in turns to be the bride with tea towels on our heads! (I was usually the bride though – eldest child’s prerogative – or just bossy-ness!) So when Saturday 21st August – dress shopping day- approached, you can imagine how excited I was, coupled with massive expectations!

Rachael met me at 8:45 and I drove us to our first bridal store: Mamfii Bridal in Knaphill, Surrey. On a small digression, I felt it was really important for me to drive there. It’s the one part of the day that Tom can’t get involved with and therefore I wanted it to be about me and that meant driving too. I’ve not done a huge amount of driving since I passed in November last year, enough to become more confident but not a huge amount without Tom, so it was a big deal for me to drive Rachael and Victoria during the day and also to park the car too. I was really proud of myself for doing it and it was another one step on my journey of achievement in this area.

We arrived at Mamfii Bridal for my appointment and it was really surreal entering the shop, which was very white, pretty, and had lots of dresses lined up ready for me to try on.

Cheryl the lovely shop assistant came and sat with us and said:

‘So which one of you is The Bride?’

It still hadn’t really hit me that this was it – I was The Bride! It was my turn to try on these dresses and this meant that I was getting married – and to the most amazing man too!

Therefore I don’t think it was a big surprise that when I came out of the fitting room wearing the first of what must have been about thirty dresses that day, saw Victoria’s beaming face, that the tears started to fall, I couldn’t stop them.

My sisters were amazing, I just loved seeing their faces when I came out of the changing rooms, getting their opinions on elements of the dress and just spending some time with them was so nice. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen Vic without Freddy and although I love him to death – it was nice to have her back for the morning as my sister rather than the mummy.

I can’t talk too much about the actual dresses here as currently my only follower is the one person who can’t know anything about it! Suffice to say that it was just amazing to try on lots of different styles, shapes, fits etc. I truly felt like a princess and I hope that the one that I eventually choose knocks Tom’s socks off!

No comments:

Post a Comment